Thursday, January 19, 2012

Journey

Labor day weekend I made a change in my life. Ever since I got out of college, I have struggled with being fit and in shape like the good old glory days. I have done the gym thing, trained for various races, but never felt like I gave it my all quite like the good old MWC/UMW days.

Labor day weekend I contacted a trainer who had moved to working at a new gym in my area. She invited me to come over and check it out that Saturday --> my brain was flooded with excuses as to why I couldn't make it. I didn't give in this time because, I needed to make the change. The gym's focus was more on personal training but more importantly functional training. I was feeling down on myself, large and in charge, and helpless. Would I ever lose the weight? Would I ever not be defined by a dress size or amount of lbs? Would I ever conquer the self doubt?

Well, fast forward 4 1/2 months. I am 12lbs lighter, 10 inches smaller, motivated and well stronger. Everyday is a challenge. I have learned to be strong in my mind to guide my journey and to remember that it is a journey. I am looking for a life change not a quick fix. We set goals of things we want to accomplish and I am proud to say it excites me to work hard toward those goals. Some goals are short term and some are long term.

Current Goals
*pull ups independently
*decrease BMI
*Broad Street (10 mile run)
*lose 20 lbs
*embrace skinny jeans ;)

Life is too short not to enjoy it. Embrace the small blessings in each day and you can't help but smile. I challenge myself to log these daily blessings to not miss each and every step of this journey with the ups and the downs.

If nothing else, this blog is for me - to remind ME of the growth I've made, the goals I've achieved, the mountains I've conquered, and the blessings that lie in each day.

Join me for the ride...it will be a journey to a healthy life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment